Radio clubs - past and present - in the Edinburgh area. 

 

The Edinburgh & District Radio Society was likely the very first radio society in Edinburgh at the beginning of the 20th century. Wikipedia states that it was run from around 1900 by Dr. James Robert Milne, FRSSA, FRSE (c1880 - 3 Feb 1961), B.Sc University of Edinburgh 1899. He lectured in physics at the University from 1912 to 1946. He was elected President of the Royal Scottish Society of Arts for 1923 to 1925. It is not stated whether the E&DRS was started before 1900 but this is unlikely as radio was only being discovered about that time.

The E&DRS shared the premises of the Edinburgh Photographic Society at 16 Royal Terrace from 1929 for some years. 

Quite by chance a sheet of headed notepaper of the Edinburgh & District Radio Society was found recently in a very old radio training book "Wireless Course" by S. Gernsback, A. Lescarboura & H.W. Secor, The Electro Importing Co., New York, N.Y. ~1918, which was purchased by an LRS member.

 

In prep.

On the main building of the Edinburgh Napier University in Colinton Road, near Holy Corner, there stands the partial remains of a 4-element 50MHz yagi antenna. Can anyone provide more about the club which once existed there?
That location has also hosts the 70cm repeater GB3ED under the control of Ellis Simon GM4GZW. 
 

In prep.

Founded in about 1991 by Chris X and Alastair Y of Electrical Engineering, with treasurer Joan Senior (now Rosselle) GM3AEI / daughter of Mike GM3PAK, this club met weekly in a room in the Pleasance. Activities included a Fox Hunt on Blackford Hill beside the Observatory, experiments with slow-scan TV and TCPIP and converting old equipment for amateur use. Joan remembers everyone being equipped with a Slim Jim antenna made from ribbon cable which could be hung up in a window. Morse code was taught, enabling Joan to pass her test and get her 'A' licence. It is not known how long the club continued after Joan graduated in 1994. Can anyone help? 

In prep.

It is believed that the Mary Erskine school had an amateur radio club, run by Physics teacher Bill Marshall GM8BPL / later GM4IMX (SK-2013).