Photographs from the early years of LRS


In January 1982 a group of amateurs, including several from the Lothians Radio Society, installed beacons for 6m, 2m, 70cm and 23cm in the county of Angus, using the callsign GB3ANG. Photos courtesy Chris Tran GM3WOJ.


Lieutenant Roy Dawson, later GM3GBX

Many thanks to Nick Dawson for providing this story about his father Roy Dawson, GM3GBX who was a member of the LRS probably in the 1950s. The following piece is taken from a newspaper article describing his amateur radio activities while serving as a Lieutenant in the Royal Corps of Electrical and Mechanical Engineers (REME) in the British Army of the Rhine in Germany after WWII. After demobilization he came to Edinburgh and worked at Ferrianti on Navigation Systems.

Brian GM4DIJ on East Lomond Hill in Fife for the UHF/SHF contest about 1996.

Brian Howie GM4DIJ built and operated portable 3cm equipment in the 1970s using Cassegrain parabolic dishes which had been scrapped by Ferranti from their Blue Parrot radar system, developed in Edinburgh. He started with wideband gear using Gunn diodes and klystrons.

Brian writes: the Cassegrain configuration is quite clever. The dish consists of an array of wires at 45 deg, and the secondary reflector, horizontal wires. Horizontally polarised incoming signals pass through the secondary reflector but are rotated to vertical polarisation by the dish and then can be reflected by the secondary reflector onto the horn feed. This largely removes the aperture loss caused by the reflector. That's why on my dish, the polarisation of the waveguide is vertical.

2 Metre Portable from West Kip

 1967 - West Kip



Rear: Vic Stewart GM3OWU, Alan Masson GM3PSP, Roy Tatton GM3SRV, Duncan Roe

Front: SWLs Peter Brown (GM3YOK) & Brian Flynn (GM8BJF), Robin Newman GM3VZL

(Picture published in "Short Wave Magazine" March 1968)

In 1967 and 1968 an intrepid group of the younger members of the LRS operated GM3PSP/P in VHF portable contests from the summit of West Kip (1800 ft asl) in the Pentland Hills near Edinburgh. They carried up all their gear including batteries. Operation was on 144 MHz AM, using a crystal-controlled transmitter plus an Eddystone EC10 receiver with a 2m converter.  The antenna was an 8-element J-Beam yagi.